I swear I’m an open-minded person,
especially when it comes to Music. I think that it is vitally important to at
least give new music a CHANCE. But despite all my politically correct, unbiased
efforts I find my self still turning away from certain styles that simply do
not resonate with me. In turn, I would definitely be less likely to listen, and
more-over ‘discover’ new music in some genres. Also it is important not to
confuse this idea with not having respect for what these incredibly talented
artists are doing, I hold the highest regard for those who put forth the effort
to take initiative and master their craft. Also, of course, there is nothing
personal against any of these artists. It comes down to a missed connection
between what message and music they are trying to share, compared to the music
that has the power to effect me in a positive and engaging manner.
A public, more acceptable example of
this to talk about could even be the recent ‘Grammy Drama’ featuring Kanye West
and Beck. Okay, Kanye, listen you’ve made some great music. Beyonce has
certainly SUNG some great songs, however it is no secret that she has a team, a
small army even of people that work to perfect that album. Although you may not
be a fan of Beck, (I'm calling you out ‘Yeezus’)
You have to respect, give credit, and accept that he deserved album of the
year because that was entirely HIS album, his creative vision, and him playing
the instruments. No, I’m not going to be purchasing a new Beck album anytime
soon, its not my cup of tea. But at least you can see the respect I have for
the guy.
This seems to be more of a rant than a
blog post, but I’m curious to know what my readers think of this as well.
Is this an acceptable opinion? Not
necessarily about the Beck situation in particular, rather the idea that we
have to accept that we will not like all the music we here. If someone claims
“they like everything” they are either lying or only referring to the whole
world of music they know from Kiss FM and B96….. Everyone has tastes. We should
all be able to agree however, that everyone deserves a chance to be heard, and
who knows it may resonate and make a difference. The important thing, and
perhaps my main message for this post, is that respect is massively important.
Show respect, you’ll get respect back.
Let’s all just agree Music is the best!
Leave your thoughts, opinions, Fav
genres, genres you don’t like, etc…!
It's defiantly important to keep an open mind, it can create inspiration and more creativity.
ReplyDelete