Friday, February 13, 2015

D'Angelo Helps Bring it Back to the Music


I have come to realize, it will always come back to the music, the meaning, and the experience. I feel as if now more than ever these crucial and fundamental elements are somewhat difficult to find in what we consider to be mainstream and garnered the confidence and energy to set my self up for a reality. The world seems to be moving 10 steps ahead of its self, and listening to an album (I mean actually giving it your undivided attention) is a dying art. I’m not innocent in this neglect, for a while I was so caught up in everything else I was doing that “discovering new music” was downloading random singles or listening to my current “go-to’s”. But music has that power to pull us back to it I believe. It’s just a matter of hearing something good, something that actually connects with you. My recent example is D’Angelo’s new semi-unexpected release of Black Messiah. It’s a Funk / R&B revival and revolution. That familiar (maybe not too familiar since his last release well over a decade ago) sound of the singer songwriter returns on a dense pallet of well-thought, unique progressive tracks. This was an album where I started right from the beginning and had no choice but to listen through it’s entirety. It was an experience that I had missed so much, and it was refreshing to do it again on such a powerful album that pushes the boundaries of my normal realm of that genre. Check it out, maybe it will connect with you too. What is the last album you’ve listened to all the way through?

2 comments:

  1. Yea man that D'angelo album is tough, he made a decent comeback though their was time, this was almost impossible. Last album i listened to all the way through was that drake it was too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last album I listened to all the way thru was the pink print. Music can be very emotional and moving. Great production is always key.

    ReplyDelete